Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Challenges & Inspirations

Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Or should it be inspirations and challenges? I think I typically start a project working from an inspiration, but sometimes we're challenged and have to come up with our own inspiration. One of the vets from the Pathway Home Project requested a camouflage quilt, and Nancy rose to the challenge in her own way. Starting with a few brown prints, she managed to combine an assortment of large to small scale prints, batiks to modern designs, with accents of color including yellow, green, pink and blue. The variety of prints combined with the simple piecing and random arrangement mimic camo in a modern way. Block Party Club members thought this quilt could be the basis for a class on color theory - I know I'd love to take it!

Gail was inspired by the Wonky Stars block in Modern Blocks: 99 Quilt Blocks from Your Favorite Designers, so Block Party Club members were challenged to make blocks for her. It was a welcome challenge though - I keep seeing wonky stars all over the internet, so I knew I'd try the technique sooner or later. I'd say we were all successful (laid out on the design wall below). It was a fun, freeing technique! 

--Carol

2 comments to Challenges & Inspirations:

rachael {imagine gnats} said...

i'm glad i got to see the "camo" quilt in person during our stop into the store while in napa on vacation :) also, the stars look great. i've been itching to start working on some myself.

Brigitte said...

Both quilts are amazing, but I'm inspired especially by the camouflage quilt! Maybe I use this type for one of the next blog post "pattern choices". Also the idea of having a class about coloring is fantastic. Good luck in selling your shop to the very best following owner!

Post a Comment